Thursday, May 14, 2015

Boy Smuggled to Spain in a Suitcase

Two people have been arrested for trying to cross a Spanish-Moroccan border with an eight-year-old hidden inside some luggage. The police have said that the boy was in a "terrible state."
Police in Ceuta, a Spanish exclave in northern Africa, found an eight-year-old boy from Ivory Coast hidden in a suitcase in an attempt to smuggle him across the border onto European territory, an official said on Friday. A young woman was arrested after she took the case through a pedestrian crossing between Morocco and Ceuta, said the Civil Guard police force.
"When they put the suitcase through the scanner, the operator noticed something strange, which seemed to be a person inside the case" a Civil Guard spokesman told French news agency AFP, adding that "when it was opened they found a minor, in a terrible state."


South Sudan Star Banned for Life From Canadian Airline?

Former child-soldier Emmanuel Jal was reportedly banned for life from WestJet airlines over a comment about having 'a license to eat humans' and threatened to 'eat' a member of the crew mid-flight if he was not given more food.

Obama Heading to Kenya for Entrepreneurship Summit

The White House announced that Barrack Obama will make his first visit to Kenya as president. "In July, President Obama will attend the #GES2015 in Kenya to #StarttheSpark for entrepreneurs in Africa and the world," the White House National Security office (@NSCPress) announced on Twitter. "President's trip will build on success of last year's historic #USAfricaSummit and advance economic, security and good governance agenda," @NSCPResss said in a second tweet.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Burundi General in coup attempt.

A Burundi General announces the overthrow of President Pierre Nkurunziza amid unrest over his bid to be re-erected to a third term.

President Nkurunziza is currently in Tanzania meeting other East African leaders


Former Tanzania President Nyerere's Son Dies

The late John Nyerere is the fourth born of the late former president Mwalimu Julius Nyerere.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Nigeria youths 'attack MTN office in Abuja'

MTN's regional office in Abuja reportedly shut down its operations on Wednesday following attacks by irate youths presumably protesting over the on-going xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Quoting the Daily Sun newspaper, Naij.com said a group of more than 100 youths converged at the MTN premises carrying placards with different inscriptions.
Apparently worried that more attacks could follow, the MTN office immediately shut down its operations, the report said.
MTN staff said services would be suspended until the xenophobic attacks faded away and stability returned to South Africa.
MTN Nigeria warned early this week that any attack on its facilities could force it to close shop, a development that could see at least 99 percent of its over 6 000 workforce in the country become jobless, a newswirengr.com report said.
This comes as Nigeria's foreign ministry on Wednesday summoned South Africa's High Commissioner over anti-immigrant violence.