Thursday, June 16, 2016

Uganda: My Life As a Sex Worker and Why I Quit

"Last year, I lost my best friend to HIV/ Aids. She had acquired the virus while working as a sex worker in Juba. She was one of the girls that I had started working with and she always looked out for me, telling me of profitable places that I too, could go and earn more money.
Upon her death, I realised that prostitution is no easy feat and everything we do has consequences. It was so hurtful that I was not able to attend her burial. I do not want my face to be seen lest people will harshly judge me on the streets because of my past.
Bridget (not real name) was born on December 10, 1983 in Masindi. She is a second born in her family. She did not progress in education and dropped out of school while in Senior Four in Gulu District where she was studying.
Taking a different path
I lost my mother and was later taken to live with my father. Since I had not grown up with him, it was difficult for me to adjust. I later returned to my aunt's place (my mother's sister). The conditions were not favourable. I was staying with my stepmother and she hardly cared for me. However, she cared for her children and I always felt neglected but could not confide in my father about what I was going through.
While in Gulu, my path started changing. I was misled by friends, who pushed me into leaving home. They also taught me how to sell myself. I later decided to leave home and fend for myself.
My father wanted me to study but I did not inform him of my decision to leave school. I escaped from school and my family never heard from me ever again.
It was my desire for nicer things that drove me into prostitution and I started the trade in 2007. I stopped studying because I was constantly admiring what other children had that I did not. The death of my mother also left me frustrated. There was a certain bar in Gulu where I made friends with the girls who were working there while engaging in prostitution. They advised me to work with them and when I requested for the job, I was hired. At the end of the month, my monthly salary was low and my friends recommended I try prostitution alongside my allowance.
On my first night as a prostitute, I earned Shs20, 000 and I was amazed. It was quick money and this would vary daily. When I noticed how fast I was earning, I kept engaging in the act.
However, during the first year as a prostitute, I got pregnant. I was lucky because the man who impregnated me did not deny or evade responsibility. He took charge and promised to take care of me. I did not show him that I continued selling my body. I thought to myself that since I would be delivering soon, I needed the money and the urge for more money kept me working on the street despite the fact that I was pregnant.
Reforming
When I lost my friend to HIV last year, I decided to quit. By then, we were both prostitutes in Gulu but later progressed. She was the first to explore new places.
She came back and informed me of how Juba was a great place to work since they were paying in dollars and at the time, the dollar rate was high. This meant earning more and I decided to try working in Juba. In 2013, I went and started working in Juba and returned last year. I worked in Busia, Gulu, Juba and Ntinda.
In Juba, the people there are hard-hearted. It was not easy. However, the pay was good. A client would give me about 200 pounds (South Sudan currency) and at the time, a pound was equivalent to Shs700 thus in a night, I would earn Shs140,000 from just one client.
My friend fell sick and decided to leave Juba. I stayed. I was later informed that she had passed on in August. When I returned, I decided to go for a blood test and discovered that I was positive. I was heartbroken and devastated. I never imagined that I would ever get infected with HIV through prostitution. My late friend passed on with no children but my situation was different. I later reformed and decided to quit prostitution so that I could dedicate myself and create a better environment for my children.
Secondly, since men pay us, one can mistreat and manhandle you because they feel the more they have sex with you, they are fully utilising the money you received from them.
My entire time as a prostitute, I cannot boldly say that I acquired something sensible from the trade. I only reaped diseases.
When I left prostitution, I immediately looked for a job. I became very busy and hardly had any time for anything else. I was working till late and only returning home too exhausted to think of sleeping with men. Each time I look at my children, I am convinced that I need to do an honest job and look after them. I now have a job and earn Shs150,000 monthly with a transport allowance of Shs5000.
During my process of recovering, I was introduced to a lady called Gloria Akech, the public relations officer who helps women like I reform fully. She took me to Alma family Centre located in Bugolobi. The centre has offered me counselling and I am currently being trained and helped to lead a new life while helping other women embrace change.
Words of wisdom
To all the young girls and women out there, please be content with what you have. I was driven by my desire to be like others and made the wrong choices. Appreciate and love what you have, always work hard for what you have. Sacrificing your life for earthly goods is not worth the risk. To the prostitutes, I appeal to you to reform and stop selling yourselves such that together, we can help the younger ones not to make the same mistakes.

No comments: